A Reading Group Guide to
Galactic Hot Dogs, Book 1:
Cosmoe’s Wiener Getaway
By Max Brallier
Illustrated by Rachel Maguire
Strap into the Neon Wiener intragalactic food truck and get ready for a wild ride with Cosmoe the Earth-Boy and his sidekick, Big Humphree, on a series of adventures through outer space! The excitement starts when Princess Dagger, daughter of the Evil Queen, kidnaps herself onto the Neon Wiener, leading to a showdown with some wicked-fast fighter ships. Next up, the crew must hunt down and defeat the “Ultimate Evil,” and also sell some snacks along the way. The hybrid graphic novel format packs action into every page, with speech bubbles and humorous asides adding to the fun of Cosmoe’s first-person narrative. Readers will happily dive into this zany tale of friendship, courage, . . . and giant hot dogs.
1. Describe Cosmoe in terms of appearance and personality. Give examples of his strengths and weaknesses. What role does Goober play in Cosmoe’s exploits? Discuss whether you think Cosmoe is a hero.
2. Use the stats graph in Chapter 1 to talk about Humphree, his background, and his personality. Do you agree with the analysis of his traits on the graph, including sense of humor, awesomeness, and so on?
3. Describe the relationship between Cosmoe and Humphree. When do they agree with each other? When do they disagree? Give examples of scenes in the book where Humphree helps Cosmoe, and others where Cosmoe helps Humphree.
4. The Evil Queen insists that her daughter, Princess Dagger, is evil. Cosmoe disagrees. Describe the princess and some of her actions, discussing whether you think she’s evil. Give examples of how she may or may not change over the course of the story. In what ways do Cosmoe and Humphree help her reveal her true nature?
5. Cosmoe says, “Our duo has become a trio” at the end of Chapter 5. What does he mean, and why does he say it then? Find a scene where the three characters work together, and describe what each of them contribute.
6. How important are villains to the plot? Describe Queen Dagger, her actions, and how you know she’s evil. Discuss General Krax Von Grumble and what he does to Cosmoe and Cosmoe’s friends. Are they effective villains? Why or why not?
7. Pictures supply a lot of the action and setting for the story. Take a close look at the first ten pages, and describe what you learn only from the pictures that aren’t in the text. What do the pictures add besides information?
8. In most novels, the print is the same size throughout the book, except for chapter titles and headings. In this book, the print varies in what kind and size of font is used. At times the print is in all capital letters. Some of the text is in speech bubbles. Analyze the impact of these design choices and what they add to the story. How different would it be if the print size and font were the same throughout?
Buy ’em Here!
Have children imagine their own intragalactic food truck and create a poster to advertise it. They need to decide what kind of food they would sell and what they would name it. The poster should show their food truck, which might reflect the food itself, and include a menu. The text should include words and slogans that would attract customers.
And Then What?
In the last chapter, Princess Dagger suggests they start on a new adventure. Cosmoe responds, “Let’s find us some trouble.” Working in small groups, have children brainstorm the next adventure, including a new villain. Once they have decided on an idea, the kids should write a short narrative giving a plot summary of the next adventure.
Guide written by Kathleen Odean, a former school librarian and Chair of the 2002 Newbery Award Committee. She gives professional development workshops on books for young people and is the author of Great Books for Girls and Great Books about Things Kids Love.
This guide has been provided by Simon & Schuster for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.
GalacticHotDogs 01 TitleDuration: 29s
GalacticHotDogs 02 Ch1Duration: 08min
GalacticHotDogs 03 Ch2Duration: 05min
GalacticHotDogs 04 Ch3Duration: 03min
GalacticHotDogs 05 Ch4Duration: 03min
GalacticHotDogs 06 Ch5Duration: 05min
GalacticHotDogs 07 Ch6Duration: 05min
GalacticHotDogs 08 Ch7Duration: 04min
GalacticHotDogs 09 Ch8Duration: 04min
GalacticHotDogs 10 Ch9Duration: 05min
GalacticHotDogs 11 Ch10Duration: 05min
GalacticHotDogs 12 Ch11Duration: 04min
GalacticHotDogs 13 Ch12Duration: 03min
GalacticHotDogs 14 Ch13Duration: 04min
GalacticHotDogs 15 Ch14Duration: 05min
GalacticHotDogs 16 Ch15Duration: 07min
GalacticHotDogs 17 Ch16Duration: 04min
GalacticHotDogs 18 Ch17Duration: 03min
GalacticHotDogs 19 Ch18Duration: 06min
GalacticHotDogs 20 Ch19Duration: 05min